Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Poemcrazy


In honor of submission season starting up, I've decided to try and write here at least three times a week. Even with the enormous homework load I'm carrying at the moment, it just seems like a good idea to generate a big body of work to choose from. I guess what I'm really trying to say is, get ready for a bunch of poetry posts. And maaayyybe some art if I find the time.

Correspondence, 2008

In the winter of 2008,
we could feel each other's clenched teeth
three-thousand miles apart.
Our bicuspids bit down,
determined to hold back words
that would conjure dark clouds.

In time, we told each other:
it had been long enough;
that stewing in the blackness of unsolved problems
was like throwing wet stones
across the continent.
It had to stop.

So it did.

And our mouths became dry of words,
As if all we were capable of sharing
was our own despair,
wrapped in the disguise of size twelve arial font.
Joy was too big to be dressed
in those tiny black letters.

Like two twin crows
we pecked at snow and waited for the thaw,
writing self addressed apologies
and reading Mary Oliver,
until seasons made the changes
that we could not make ourselves.

1 comment:

  1. I am the biggest fan of the three posts a week idea! I love your poems so much!

    ReplyDelete