Pages

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Sunday's Bake: Peach Apple Crisp


 





































Fall is officially here. Though the leaves have been falling for weeks, the wet, dark season really showed its face yesterday just in time for an all-day outdoor tailgate party I'd signed up to attend. I was really excited to peel off my socks at the end of the day, to say the least.

Despite the dreary, disgusting and bone-soaking winter season we have around here, there are some perks to fall that we can't deny: The general appeal of tea increases. Pumpkin spice and pumpkin puree are suddenly finding their way into my shopping basket. Yoga pants and Ugg boots are acceptable in public (although I can't quite stomach the leggings-as-pants-please-check-out-my-crotch style that so many people seem to find appealing).

Anyway, one other thing that I love about fall is Pie. And, perhaps more importantly (to this post, anyway), pie's sloppier younger sister Cobbler, also known as "Crisp" to her nearest and dearest. Crisp is a great end to any meal, easy to make and not too hard on your wallet, either. I was given a big bag of apples straight from their tree this past week, and right away I knew where they were headed.


Peach Apple Crisp, adapted from Betty Crocker

- 4 Medium Apples, peeled and sliced (roughly 4 cups, although I just basically filled my baking dish)
- 1 to 2 peaches (nectarines are also good), sliced
- 3/4 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 Cup almond meal*
- 1/2 Cup oats (quick-cook or regular or fine)
- 1/3 Cup butter, softened
- 3/4 Tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 Tsp ground nutmeg
- Cream or ice cream (to serve-optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, grease the bottom and sides of your baking dish
2. Spread the apples and peaches in your baking dish evenly
3. Mix together all other ingredients well (except the cream) and sprinkle over top of the apples
4. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and apples are tender when pierced with a fork.
5. Serve with cream over top or with vanilla ice cream if you'd like

*Note that I used half almond meal and half all purpose flour to save on the carb count a tiny bit. You can use all regular flour if you have no almond meal, or all almond meal if you'd rather!

1 comment:

  1. yum. more apples at 27318 ne 116th st if you want em....xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete