Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Remember September


Not too many people even read my blog anyway, but I'm posting this everywhere because it's really important to me. 

I'm not an enormous fan of using my personal accounts for promotion - I see enough commercials and advertisements in my day-to-day life as it is without my contacts bombarding me with suggestions about how to spend my time or money - but today I feel like I need to make an exception to my personal policy:

Twelve years ago our country was faced with an enormous tragedy that unified us as a country and rudely reminded us all to live our lives to the fullest. An outpouring of goodwill and support enveloped the people of New York, enabling humanitarian aid, many recovery efforts, and eventually the construction of memorials at Ground Zero.

Yet as I spoke with the families of those who were lost yesterday, and the survivors, and the first responders who made it out alive, something became clear: people are beginning to forget. In this, there is no blame. Our lives are busy and full and we all have our own personal struggles that push to the forefront of our daily transactions. But these people who lost so much that day, and/or who gave up so freely their own safety and well-being to protect others, aren't really asking for much at all. These people only want to be remembered, want their loved ones to be remembered, not only as one conglomerate group of unfortunate people but as individuals who were cherished and admired by their families and communities.

As a part of the Tribute Flag Project, I have been able to see the profoundly positive consequences of making personal connections with these survivors. I have witnessed the way that art, in its incredibly unique way, can touch a part of someone's heart they thought they'd hardened. For the last 12 years,Dianne Brudnicki has personally funded each project, recruited and rallied volunteers, formed and cultivated relationships with people across the country, and (probably) pulled her hair out while shlepping big groups of PNW kids around New York just so that they can have the opportunity to make these profound connections with others. Most of all she has set a practically unmatched standard for remembering this day in history. I could not be more proud to be a part of this project or to have been privileged enough to work with Dianne all of this time.

If you are looking for a way to make your "remembering" just a little bit more meaningful this year, please don't hesitate to visit our project's website at www.TributeFlagProject.com to donate your time or money to a truly worthwhile cause. 


No comments:

Post a Comment